It would not be a great exaggeration to say that the first place in popularity as a material for paving sidewalks, paths and platforms belongs to concrete paving blocks, the characteristics of which are comparable to paving stones.
The significant advantages of blocks lie, firstly, in their relative cheapness, and secondly, in the fact that, unlike natural stone, their installation is not associated with serious difficulties. In order for a path paved with concrete blocks to last for decades, it is important to choose the right materials, follow the laying technology or entrust it to JL Driveways and ensure proper care.
To control the reliability of road surfaces, it is necessary that materials meet a number of requirements:
- The coating elements must have mobility to minimize deformation and reduce the likelihood of destruction, which may be caused by soil heaving, freezing, or exposure to intense loads, such as, for example, the pressure of the wheels of heavy vehicles.
- Elements must be laid with a small gap. If the distance between them is too large, the blocks may become excessively mobile and shift under the weight of a passing car.
- The coating must be smooth, without bumps, waves, or tubercles, which become causes of premature destruction due to uneven distribution of loads.
- The concrete base should be made solid – the presence of voids reduces its strength, which can also cause a reduction in the durability of the paving slab road surface.
- It is necessary to provide grooves to drain water away from the coating. Without drainage, concrete, which easily absorbs water, will quickly deteriorate.
- When arranging pavements in areas with high traffic intensity, it is necessary to use high-quality paving slabs that have the required strength and resistance to other external influences (frost, heat, humidity, etc.).
If all these conditions are taken into account, the blocks will serve you for many years.